Google My Business was a Google application that provided you with the ability to list the location of your business on Google Maps and local search results. You could also display essential information about your business such as opening/closing times, contacts, or a link to your website. Now, however, Google is renaming Google My Business to Google Business Profile, as it shifts efforts towards bringing more of the business profile management out of the Google My Business app and directly into other established Google apps such as Google Search, Google Maps, and more.
Why the New Name?
The reason why Google changed the name was to “keep things simple.” Also sometime in 2022, Google plans to retire the Google My Business app completely.
Why is Google My Business going away?
- Google is currently encouraging businesses to manage their single listings through Google Search or Google maps, either via the web or mobile app. For a long time, Google has let businesses manage their individual listings directly in search results or Google Maps, but now Google prefers businesses with single listing manage their business in Search or Maps and not in the old Google My Business console.
- Google plans on making the existing Google My Business transition to support larger businesses in multiple locations, and will be renamed to “Business Profile Manager.”
- This means that if you manage multiple locations for your business and/or you are an SEO that manages a range of businesses, you will still continue to use an interface like Google My Business, but just with a new name (Business Profile Manager). There might be changes to the Business Profile Manager, though, as the months go forward.
Some New Features
- Google also announced some new features aside from the Google My Business name change. These features include:
- You can claim and verify your Google Business Profile directly from Google Search or Maps
- Call History is now launching in US and Canada.
- Messaging can be done directly through Google Search
- You can now use Google Search and Maps to control Message read receipts.
On top of all of this news, Google Ads is enabling you to plan Local campaign budgets using Performance Planner, a tool that lets you create plans for your advertising spend and view how changes to your campaign might affect overall performance. The tool also lets you see forecasts for our campaigns, explore outcomes by adjusting settings for your campaign, understand opportunities in seasonal periods, and manage budgets across campaigns and accounts.
- Local search in Google has been powered much off the business profiles Google has in Google My Business. With this change in Google My Business, however, the web interface will still not change that much (outside of branding). You can instead expect more features from the old Google My Business web interface to be incorporated into Google Search, Google Maps, and other respective Google apps. Rebranding for the Old Google My Business will also occur over a couple of weeks.